Monday, December 19, 2011

Almost Christmas!

December 19, 2011


It's Christmas week, and the cookie baking has begun.  And where are those little worker elves that love to bake cookies, frost cookies, and then clean up the baking mess?  I tell you, all my friends are asking for them too.....I should start a business!!

I am finished teaching the Sunday School class for the year, but have to get all the things ready for the first of the year class on the Book of Mormon.  Cooper is helping get the personal liahonas and journals (plates of Cooper, Spencer, Cody...well you get the idea) ready.  I have been collecting handout stuff for several lessons, got the lesson manual from the church last week, and have started thinking about fun things to do next year.  With it being the Book of Mormon, these kids have already studied it in seminary, so I guess it's up to me to help it come alive for them this year.  Why do I ALWAYS get the hard part???  I just hope that I can live up to the reputation I have, and that Cooper has been spreading next year.....just saying!  There will be a whole herd of kids 16-18 years old.....and how they like to tease me.  I know these kids because they are Cooper's friends who come to the house all the time.  Although, I already have the stash of bloody arms for the Ammon tending the King's sheep story, and a King's robe and crown.

I must admit, this past year it has been a pleasure to teach these kids about the Savior.  I enjoy teaching the New Testament, and I always hope that the students testimonies have grown when the year is over.  It is always interesting to see them learn new things about Him, and see them put them into action in their personal lives.  You can tell in their eye when the Spirit touches their hearts and the learn something new.

I found this song that I gave to them...on a CD, with a written copy of my testimony of the Savior.

Do You Have Room?

They journeyed far, a weary pair,
They sought a shelter from the cold night air.
Someplace where she could lay her head,
Where she could give her babe a quiet bed.
Was there no room, no corner there
In all the town, a spot someone could spare?
Is there no soul come to their aid?
A stable bare was where the family stayed.

Do you have room for the Savior?
And do you seek Him anew?
Have you a place for the one who lived and died for you?
Are you as humble as a shepherd boy,
Or as wise as men of old?
Would you have come that night?
Would you have sought the light?
Do you have room?

A star arose, a wonderous light
A sign from God this was the holy night.
And yet so few would go to see,
A babe who came to rescue you and me.
This child divine is now a king,
The gift of life to all the world He brings.
And all mankind is saved from doom,
But on that night for Him there was no room

Do you have room for the Savior?
And do you seek him anew?
Have you a place for the one who lived and died for you?
Are you as humble as a shepherd boy,
Or as wise of men of old?
Would you have come that night?
Would you have sought the light?
Do you have room?

Will you come tonight?
Will you seek the light?
Do you have room?

It's by Sarah Belt Edwards....

This song touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes as I thought about that night so long ago.  In the year that we have once again studied the Savior, those tender feelings of His birth are very much on the surface this time of year.  And I am grateful.

I finally got all the Christmas cards mailed, and Guy has wrapped most of the Christmas presents.  Do you think I could get him to wrap his own with his eyes closed?  Probably not....

Cymbre and I started the cookie baking today...and Splenda doesn't work in chocolate chews.  Guess Dad and I won't be eating to many of those....it works in his pies though, and it shouldn't be a problem in some of the other cookies.  I think it was just because you cook the chocolate chews instead of baking them.  Still to be made are the chocolate chip, peanut butter, grammie lommason, spritz, and it seems like there is one more.  And then the hard candy.  We always make cinnamon and the house smells so good for days!

The pajama pants all are done, just the elastic in Britni's waist to finish when she gets here.  Next year, I think I will make them in July, and then just do the hemming closer to Christmas.....a good intention anyway!

Cooper is spending more time not at school than at school the last few days.  It's because of finals, and she gets to not take some, so she has been doing other things.

I mailed the final box today...you know the one with the lost at the back of the closet present.  Well, this year it has three presents....hopefully, it will get there, but if not....Caleb, Shyla, and Eden are the lucky winners this year!  There is always at least one!  Actually, Eden's made it under our Christmas tree and Cymbre found it the other night pinching presents.  Good thing, because Cooper spent hours making the thing, and would have been disappointed on Christmas morning to have found it still here.

I think I have once again whipped my sewing machine back into working condition.  At least at the moment, it is working....SHHHHH! Don't tell it!

From the looks of the corner in the bedroom, I need some ironing fairies to show up.....don't know how the herniated disc in my back will take to ironing!  It doesn't like sewing for hours at a time, or shopping, or carrying groceries.....however, I have made it suffer recently.

I go to physical therapy in the morning....we'll see what they have up their sleeve to make my back feel better....I admit, I have my doubts!  However, the insurance is totally paying the bill so I will go a time or two and see if it makes a difference or not.  Heat helps, and sitting in the jacuzzi, but I can't stay there all day....well, I could, but then Dad would have to help me get out because the muscles would be too relaxed!

Tomorrow is the last day of school and dance.  Here comes boredom for the girls.  Cookie baking will keep them busy for a day or two, and then Britni will get here late on Friday night.  Saturday, we need to make pies, rolls, and cheesecake, and finish wrapping...and that bring us to Christmas.  We have Sacrament meeting at 9am...so if they want new clothes for church, we have to get up early.  Needless to say, Christmas dinner will be in the evening this year, not at lunch time.

Guess this about catches up things for the past few days.  It's raining in Houston, a welcome sight....to bad it won't turn into a little bit of the frozen white stuff.  Oh well, I guess snow and flip flops really don't mix!

On that note, get out there and do something for someone....take cookies to an older person, drop a happy meal at the corner for the homeless man, give hot chocolate to someone working outside in the cold....just do something.

Grandma needs to skype my babies....so please find some time....

Love you all bunches and bunches!

Mom










No comments: