Wednesday, December 28, 2011

All Cleaned up......FINALLY!

December 28, 2011


Christmas is all taken down, cleaned up, packed up, and put away for another year.  Somehow, Britni escaped this year without helping....we will get even next year!  I had to get it down and put away before Dad wasn't here to help, considering all this goings on with my back therapy and a million exercises they think a mom should do three times a day. Excuse me...do you realize that a mom doesn't have enough time to do them once, let alone three times!  It seems I just get done and have to start doing them again. 


I told the therapist today that he was the torture chamber master.....he just laughed and said, "We'll start with all your stretching exercises, then do the biofeedback aparatus including the marching"...I just laughed at him and told him the marching was an impossible thing!  However, at the end of the session during the marching stuff, I managed to keep the pressure at almost 40 pounds, which is where I'm supposed to keep it, for the entire 5 minutes....progress I suppose!  Then he decided since I was getting so good at that, we needed to do some strengthening of the pelvic floor stuff....that sounds familiar from 5 pregnancies.....only this was more than that....now I have this ball thing, a belt thing, and a blood pressure cuff that I have to use.....will the torture never end???  He said that at least I was a good sport and actually did the exercises at home.  I guess most people don't, and then they end up coming back and complaining that they can't do them.  I think some good is coming from all this stretching and stuff....my back isn't hurting as much, but it is still sore, and last night I managed to sleep in the bed the ENTIRE night.  That makes Guy happy!  Guess he likes to be slept on top of all night.  Probably makes him feel loved or something mushy like that.....and for those who want to know....yes, I do love that man!

I tell you what...there is this man that comes the same time I do that had carpal tunner and cubital tunnel surgery on his arm.  That's what I had the beginning of the year.  He is in agony when they try to bend his arm.  I guess his doctor put him in a sling and he's been immobile for 6 weeks...now he has scar tissue and no range of motion.  Boy am I glad I didn't use his doctor!  I had full range of motion in one week, no sling, and no physical therapy!  My doctor made me start moving the thing before I left the hospital....thank heavens!  To watch that poor man lay there with tears running down his face and in pain just breaks my heart when I lay there knowing that it didn't have to be that way for him.  The therapist said it will be about 6 months of therapy for him....and then he still has to get the other arm done.  Man, I would be looking for another doctor....just saying!

Today I had the girls try on the dance costume parts that need altering....just have to shorten things, take in some things, and hem some pants, and make afrench cuff and get cuff links for Cooper's tap costume. Cymbre's is just to shorten things, add petticoats, and rhinestone fishnets.  With cooperation from my back, by the end of next week I hope to have most of it done.  We have to make a trip to Harwin street to look for a necklace for Cooper's Mark Goodman tap solo.  And I have to figure out how to attach the silk leaves to Cooper's jazz solo so that she can be a forest creature.  They have to be attached to a chiffon type of flowing material and not weigh it down.  I even got a little bird with tail feathers to attach to her bun...she will be a great forest creature when I get done.  I also still need to measure the tulle for Cymbre's cumberbun...and figure out how to make a decent bow for the back without it being cumbersome.....get it!  Maybe one of those big gift wrap bows in a matching color just snapped into place after the cumberbun is attached would work.  You know those ones in the bridal department at Hobby Lobby with the big loops and long tails....think I'll go look tomorrow.  At least her headdress is simple this year....no millinary extravaganzas this year. We are just putting feathers in her hair....sort of boring if you ask me though.  I mean how much imagination does that take?  I just bought some of those feathers that they have that you can decorate flip flops with, and attached them to a barrette and VIOLA!!  Hairpiece!

I have been working on my Sunday School lesson this week.  We are doing the Book of Mormon, and Cooper has been talking, so I have to make it good.  So I decided since the lesson is basically just about the title page and the witnesses testimonies that I would spice it up by using some Star Wars stuff.  However, my quest for finding a C3PO hasn't been successful.  I will probably have to use a picture instead of the action figure....but one is on the way, so everyone needs to say their prayers it gets here in time.  I should have just had Caleb send me one of Jack's and then sent it back.  Anyway, since it's just an introduction to the Book of Mormon lesson, I decided to tell the kids that they need to make their scripture study count...enter C3PO!  C=commitment  Make a commitment about when and where they will study their scriptures. (3P's) P=prayer  Pray before you read and while reading to gain understanding of what you are reading. P=Pencil  Have a pencil handy for marking scriptures and making notes. P=Ponder  Ponder what you are reading and ask yourself some questions.  Why was this included when Mormon abridged the book?  What am I to gain? O=Obey  Do the things the scriptures and the Spirit teach you to do.  So, I have a C3PO picture for each of them to keep in their scriptures. I had Cymbre make stickers with the above explanation on it for the back of the pictures.  I had Cooper make them a "plates of Cooper, Spencer, Cody" notebook for them to take notes in or write their impressions and understanding of the scriptures in, and I got them each a scripture marking pencil.  Hopefully, this will keep about 16 teenagers busy for this week at least...heaven help me!

Who knows what I'll do next week.  I am living for the week we do the Liahona.  Cooper has been making individual ones for each of them, and a fancier one for a visual aid.

And I have the stuff to make a set of golden plates, and a box to keep them in.  They are in the sewing room with the bag of bloody arms and swords for the Ammon story.  And I'm rounding up old blankets to use to listen to King Benjamin give his speech, and trying to figure out how to deal with the burning of Abinadi, since I'm pretty sure that they won't let me light a fire in the front of the church building. There is a wonderful wall outside of the church hiding the air conditioning units that will work great for the Samuel the Lamanite story, (I need to buy some nerf arrows)  and maybe we can do some barge building in the parking lot for the Brother of Jared story. I already have white stones and little sacks for the handout. I don't know exactly how to bury all the weapons with the 2000 Stripling warriors' parents. I'm pretty sure that digging a big hole in the front lawn isn't an option.  And what to do about all the walls falling down in the jail with the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's is another problem deserving some thinking.  Planning an earthquake at the church just at the right moment may be more than I can handle....just saying. I may have to borrow another class for some battles....but I think I could bribe the teacher of the class just younger than mine.  That would give me about 40 youth, and that's a good number for a battle don't you think?  I may have to retire from teaching by the end of this year....But Cymbre thinks I should stick around until her class is done with my class, and that's like 5 years from now....YIKES!!  In order to do that I would have to teach the Old Testament a couple of times, and I just don't know if I'm up to that much Isaiah!

The other night Cooper asked me what I thought the Prophet would think if he came to my Sunday School class, and before I could answer Guy said he would think that Gospel Doctrine class was boring!  I think he would think that a crazy woman was teaching the 16-18 year olds in our ward.  This year will be interesting to say the least.

As long as the youth in the class can feel the Spirit, and learn something, and have their testimonies strengthened....that's all that matters to me.  I've been known to do some crazy things, but they seem to always get the point acrossed.

And on that note, it's late, and I'm going to put these tired bones to bed....

Have a great week everyone....I'll post Christmas photos soon....Dad has to get them off the camera first.

Remember Dad and I love you all very much.  Get out there and serve someone.


Mom

No comments: