Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Thread & Me!

September 1, 2009

Ok, so I have been beginning to get all the things together to make these dance costumes again this year. I always do this. I try to have everything assembled because I really hate to get going, and then have to stop and to go the store when I am on a roll. So, I have gathered interfacing, mesh fabric, chiffon (the next worst thing to tulle!!), found my walking foot for the sewing machine, even bought a brand new box of straight pins! Yes, there really is such a thing as a straight pin. Most of mine look and act like they have been in a major war for years! And I still have to track down my seam ripper....I think Cooper kidnapped it! So today, while waiting for Cymbre to get on the school bus, I was gathering different colors of thread for these costumes. Then I started thinking about what kind, and what color thread I would really like to be. (If I was ever going to be a spool of thread!) And yes, with the medication I am on for my serverly sprained index fingers, this is something very easy to think about....and NO, I haven't lost my mind! It's just gone on a little tiny vacation for a couple of sleepy hours!

So, I have found a maroon purply thread (it goes to Cooper's jazz costume), but I really think that doesn't suit my personality....neither does the violet purple for Cymbre's tap costume. There's a royal blue, but while we lived in England, I think I got my fill of royalty and their antics. So, I don't want to be that color. Cooper will have a red and orange costume, but those fire colors, while I can wear them, don't fit me either. I don't want to be denim or upholstry thread either...to tough! And embroidery thread is to thin...

So, I also have decided that I should be hot pink thread. Not the neon one, just the regular one. It's not quite regular pink, and not purple. Definitely not red or orange or green. I mean who wants to be green...and black is too depressing! White gets dirty to fast...and yellow just isn't me. As for the teal color, and brown...give me a break!

And what's the deal with all the thread getting tangled up in my thread drawer. I carefully put the ends in those little slots to hold them, and then the next thing you know, there is a major party going on in the drawer. All the colors are like dancing or something, but they sure manage to get all tangled up. Then the only recourse is to cut them, get rid of the bundle of tangles, and rehook everything, and then just hope for the best! My thread sets such a bad example for the elastic....it is trying to tie itself in knots too....I mean really! And we won't say anything encouraging about the velcro sticking to itself and all it's neighbors. I mean, don't you think that's just rude? And suddenly, all the old buttons are going into hiding because they heard Cooper talk about using some of them on a school project. They think they already did high school, and they are scared they may end up in a family living sort of class. They want to stay in my more experienced sewing room, than be stuck in a class of beginners. At least at this point, the zippers are behaving, but shhhhh, don't say anything. I don't want them to get any ideas about zipping away on some far away vacation just in time to leave the back of a costume gaping open! The hook and eyes are suddenly hooked on each other, and I keep having to separate them in order to get them to behave. And I recently held a dignified funeral for the bent, old, and battleworn straight, not so straight pins! It was well attended by the needles just to make sure what kind of burial they can look forward to some day. And, has anyone seen my tube turner? It's gone missing...I would file a missing persons report, but can't remember what color eyes he has! Maybe he is off stabbing all those darned dust bunnies....they need cleaning up you know. Hope he hurries before the lizards come in again. A dust covered lizard is very hard to see you know! Everyone beware of the walking dust bunny! And someone let it out of the bag that I was considering getting my scissors sharpened, so now my favorite, very best pair has gone AWOL! What's with that? You would think they would want to be sharp again, but NO, mine want to retire! No one gets to retire around here....they have to go with Dad to be door greeters at Walmart when they retire....no staying home all day keeping track of me. Dad says that's good because I have promised to make him his lunch everyday....that has only happened a few times in the whole 30+ years we have been married. He thinks it will be great!

On that note, I am going to put my fingers on ice! Or maybe I will go work on Boo's baby dress!

Be nice to everyone you meet this week, and email your mom.

Love you.

Mom

No comments: