Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What's Found in the Sewing Room!

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Well, I have been working on cleaning up the sewing room this week in between Dad's surgery, and changing his ice water, and keeping the little girls occupied for their Spring Break! I am exhausted just thinking about the last three days!

On Monday, the little girls and I decided to attack the scrapbook room....and attack we did. There isn't even one little sack of stuff not organized and put away, and the sack in the garbage. However, now we are scared to use the room because we don't want those little mess maker's who destroy our hard work to show their faces again. It seems there are some kind of little monsters who invade that room when I go to the grocery store, and they totally destroy all my various stages of organization. I actually think it is the rubber stamps that create all the havoc up there. Ever since I got them out of Dad's closet, they have just been celebrating. I guess they didn't like his artic gear staring at them all the time. The stamp pads declared it a National Stamp Pad Holiday because they had not seen the light of day in months, who knows, maybe years for some of them. I distinctly remember seeing a couple that were looking rather dried out, so who knows, they may be making funeral arrangements any day now.

Those glue dots don't help in the keeping things cleaned up area either. They love to spread themselves out all over the table, then we have the papers who stick to them where we don't want them to stick, and then we have the marking pens that just run amuck whenever they get the chance. And does anyone know how to control those scissors that cut strange designs? They seem to have lives of their own...I am hoping they don't get ahold of my debit card!

Today I was a Garden Ridge and bought a little blue bucket to put on the nice cleared off table to hold the scissors, glue dots, and other little things we use when we scrapbook. However, it was raining (I should say it was down-pouring!) when we left the store, so Cymbre wore the thing for a hat. Some days I just don't know about that kid! So now the bucket is infected with Beastie germs and has to be washed in the dishwasher!

Then Dad had his surgery on Tuesday....talk about five boring hours in the waiting room!! Dr. Elbaz was funny when he came to talk to me. I asked him when Dad could drive the standard car again, and he said no one drives those cars anymore. So all you kids who have those cars, you are officially no ones! Dad is doing great, he is just a bit stiff, and the sides of his knee are still swollen even though we have cycled enough ice water through his little water bag to fill a lake. His biggest problem is he can't get the "YES" they wrote in some kind of super permanent ink off the top of his knee....guess it will still be there if he needs more surgery! Cymbre is in charge of keeping his ice water cold, and Cooper is in charge of physical therapy! My advice, don't have surgery if they are around. They are relentless! I am in charge of kisses, which I must say, are still in excellent health. However, the hugs goodnight are a bit weird since Dad can't turn over on his leg to hug me.

Everyday I have tried to work on that bomb explosion of a sewing room I have. Finally, I have a corner where the file cabinets of genealogy were cleaned up, vacumned, and organized with these cubby things holding assorted interesting stuff. I took the Dead Ancestors up to Shyla's room, and condensed them to two drawers. Haven't heard any complaints yet, but I shut the bookcase so who knows what they are up to up there. The first one to complain gets to live in the garage attic! No bones about it!

Did you know that when stray needles lie in the bottom of a drawer you are cleaning out, they tend to poke you? Now I have a whole big baby food jar full of needles. They are calling their attorney to arrange bail so they can escape from the prision where I put them. I have also discovered that I must have at least 1,000,000 straight pins. Well, they are supposed to be straight...some of them are a little bent, and there are some that are just down right crooked! I just can't seem to throw them away...there has got to be something wrong when I can't get rid of the bent straight pin!!! No I do not need psyco-analysis! I have already been shrunk, just ask Caleb!

While I have been sorting out things I have discovered that I really have a need for a great big project that would use about 30 packages of blue bias tape....I have several different widths, so I can do lots of fun things with it. Does anyone have an idea? No Caleb, it won't work on the Scout Quilt...I already thought of that. However, I have finally found the lost Merit Badge!!! Yippy Skippy! Now I can finish that last patch around the middle of the Scout Quilt and then finish up the long strips. Just think Caleb, you may get it in time for your retirement!

I am scared to clean out the closet. Who knows that those pipe cleaners, bolts of velvet, and the fleece have been up to in there! I saw a basket trying to dig up some fabric markers the other day, so they must be doing something in that closet...anyone brave enough to find out what?

Dad just keeps asking how many more garbage bags I will have...I think he loves the bags of garbage more than he loves me. I must admit that the parts I have done look really great, I just need to label everything because I will never be able to find what I need in all this organization, but the room looks GREAT! At least the corner and where the sewing machine sits looks great! As for the pile of stuff in the middle, maybe a sink hole will just open up and eat it for me.

Right now I have my eye on the pattern file drawers...I am getting rid of every pattern that is too little for the little girls except the ones I would make if I was a Grandma. As you know, Grandma's sew pretty things, not just those baby bibs and petticoats! Gone are the jogging shorts Caleb used to live in, and those bunny Easter baskets will never see the light of day again! Britni's Daisy Kingdom dress patterns are safe, had to keep them, I still have some of the material that isn't made up. CAM is just going to love Dad when he drives the van full of stuff up to their door!

I spent most of this evening wrestling the bobbins into the bobbin cases in the sewing machine drawers. Do you know how unruly bobbins can be. Just when you think you have them all neatly in the box, someone blows a gasket and threads appear outside the box giving it a very messy appearance. You can't tape the thread to the top of the bobbin because then you would never be able to use the thing. You can trim the lose threads, but I guarantee you that you still won't get them all in the box without some little arm or leg hanging out! AMPUTATE I SAY!

The interfacing is also causing me problems. It seems to have issues with staying in the basket I put it in. It doesn't fit in the cubby drawers, and just seems to want to sprawl out all over the room. I have found those little dudes hiding in ribbon drawers, in with the hem tap, and behind the sewing machine. They just show no respect! Does anyone know of an obedience school for sewing materials? Maybe if I could get the interfacing to behave, the bolts of fabric would stop the revolt they are planning too.

Well, I am going to put what few brain cells I have left to bed on the couch. That is if the Beast and Lazy have not taken over the whole thing. Dad is snoring!!! Should have had the Dr. take that out of him while they had him open. I could just go freeze his knee, but I think I will just settle in on the couch instead.

All you kids who think your Mom is losing it....I am not!

Get back on that homework!

Love you.

Mom

2 comments:

Shyla said...

It's going to take some convincing for me to believe you're not losing it.

Caleb said...

Yep, pretty sure Shyla's right on this one. :P