Saturday, March 3, 2007

Saturday Adventures

Well, today was a very interesting day. I went to the Time Out for Women thing that Deseret Book did here in Houston. It was wonderful. I wasn't totally well, but I am glad I made the effort to be there. I sat by myself, so I didn't have to cough on anyone I knew at least...and the program was wonderful. Michael McLean was the host and sang several of his songs. I had never really listened to his stuff, but today I bought several of his CD's. He did one song about a girl giving her baby up for adoption. He told the story of how the song was written, and I knew because I am an adoptive mom I was going to have tears. Well, I wasn't wrong, and the lady sitting next to me while he was singing noticed my tears running down my face, and asked me if I was ok. I told her yes, but that I was an adoptive mom. I'm the one the song is sung to...the birthmom wants to make sure that her baby knows that he is loved by 2 moms. Needless to say, that CD came home with me, and I am going to make sure that my adopted baby hears it.
The day was a wonderful, no kids, no husband experience for women. I hope to go again when they come back to Houston. Not that I don't like my kids and husband!

On the way home to me street signs began to talk to me...the Hardy Toll road tried to convince me that he was the way home, and then I remembered that I really wanted to find the Sam Houston Tollway. Coming home from the Woodlands is interesting if you get on the wrong road...then as usual I never know what direction I need so when I finally got to 249 I couldn't decide North or South, so I just stayed over on the access road until I could decide and then got back on the right highway. My brain is really directionally challenged. I could have called Dad since I had the car, but the stupid car won't call the person I tell it to, and there was too much traffic to use the cell phone while driving. Once I got to where I recognized, then I knew without the street signs helping me where to go. However, I still managed to get turned around getting off at the Mall to eat at Sweet Tomatoes. However, Dad was there waiting for me, which made everything alright.

Then on the way home from the restaurant, we called Holly to see what she wanted for her birthday, and enjoyed talking to her for a few minutes.

Later we decided to go to the store to try to find some birthday things for Holly, but the little birdies that are supposed to keep me informed of what people want obviously were on strike tonight as they were not answering when I tried to summon them while in Target. Oh well, we went to the signs in the cleaner rows and asked them where to find some Scotch Guard to use on Cymbre's Top Soloist Sweatshirt. Thankfully, the fabric softener knew where it was, or I would still be there waiting for the spray starch to conduct a search.

We did some more wandering around the store, but the little birdies never showed. I guess I need to contact the Union Chief or something. The kitchen isle did yield some ideas, but in reality, just how many salt and pepper shakers does one kitchen need? The hot pink throw rug wanted to come home with us, but we decided that it clashed with Holly's red, so we left it having a temper tantrum on the shelf....hope the store's security cameras weren't focused on that row!

Feeling totally dejected and as failures, the little girls and I decided we just had to have some popcorn. Now we all know that the popcorn freshly popped at Target is by far the best in town, so we bought some to drowned our sorrows over our shopping failure in.

We have decided to take tomorrow off of shopping for birthdays, and making shamrock pillowcases..we have to go to church. By the way, if anyone is looking for me tomorrow, I will be hiding between the pictures in the library until all those crazy people who want copies have left the building!

Now all you college kids who have homework to do....quit wasting time and get on it.

Love you.

Mom

1 comment:

Shyla said...

I'm glad you like the conference. And I can't believe you've never listened to Micheal McLean before!