Thursday, February 21, 2008

Cancer's Back!

Thursday, February 21, 2008

I spent the morning today just puttering around the house and getting some stuff cleaned up that has gotten left while my back has been hurting....what a pain! Don't know what's worse, the mess on the counter, or the pain in my back!

This afternoon, Cooper and I went over to Elizabeth's house and had an ice cream picnic on the floor with her boys. Ethan's cancer is back, and it's in his lymph nodes close to his spine so the whole situation has Elizabeth in tears. She just wanted to laugh today, so I took dinner, the ice cream picnic, Cooper and her jokes, and a Horton Hears A Who game I bought.

I have decided that I am not sure that I can sit with her and watch her little one die. The doctors don't know what to do, as they have done the chemo that he can have for his lifetime, surgery isn't a good option, neither is radiation. So, we are waiting to see what they come up with. A VERY DEPRESSING situation. I had to tell her today, that the Savior may need Ethan in heaven more than we need him here on earth.....that just breaks my heart after the year I've spent helping her through the cancer treatment. They thought they had won, and now this. I am the friend she calls to cry with....I am glad to be her friend, but this is SO HARD!

As I was ready to leave, she just clung to me and with tears in her eyes and mine, I told her I would trade with her if I could. She has been through so much, it would be nice if someone else could just carry her burden for a little while.

When I called the RS Pres. today to update her on the situation, we had a good cry together. I told her that I needed some help in getting Elizabeth to laugh....she is coming up with something.

Well, I must get something to eat....and then rest my back.

I love you all.....

Mom

2 comments:

Lady in Waiting said...

I love you mom! You are an amazing woman and I am constantly amazed by how you do the things you do for other people. I wish I could have your faith and strength. I put him and his family on the prayer role and have asked for my friends to keep him in thier prayers.

Shyla said...

Wow. Let's hope they come up with something else. An ice cream picnic sounds fun though!