Sunday, January 8, 2012

Another Object Lesson For the Teenagers

January 8, 2012
After being kicked out of my Sunday School classroom last week, I have finally sorted everything out and now we are meeting in the Relief Society room.  It's much bigger than the previous room, and it has soft chairs, and my class is thrilled!  Since I teach the 16-18 year olds, I kinda like to keep them happy...it keeps them participating in the lessons.

For the object lesson this week, I used a plate, a marble, and a bowl.  It is in reference to Nephi obeying his father and returning to Jerusalem to get the plates of brass and relying on the Lord to provide a way.

So the plate represents life without any commandments to help us to live on the straight and narrow path and be happy.  When you roll the marble, which represents us, around in a circle on the plate...it can't go very fast before it flys off the plate.  Sort of hard to keep the commandments when you fly off the straight and narrow path don't you think? The bowl represents life in keeping commandments.  When you make the marble go around, inside the bowl it can go very fast without flying outside the bowl.  Therefore, the commandments are a support system to help us stay on the straight and narrow path which leads ultimately to happiness.  I know, sort of simple....but it does prove that keeping the commandments and obeying them obviously helps us keep our lives in line with what the Savior would have us do.  It was a good follow-up to C3PO last week if you ask me.

Now I just need to come up with something good for the Tree of Life lesson next week.  Keeping 15 teenagers interested just may kill me this year....I'm thinking little rods of iron, and maybe going outside to visit the tree of life.....Maybe I could arrange a little fog cloud to be the mist of darkness......no, probably not!  Who do I know that owns a fog machine.....

I sort of didn't do so well at physical therapy for my back this week...I spent a couple of days in lots of pain, and then I just wasn't up to going on Friday.  However, I will be there in the morning bright and early.....this is going to kill me!  They keep telling me that building up the muscles will eventually help to support the herniated disc and allow it to stop causing me so much pain....ok, but how long?

I am making good progress on the dance costumes this past week...got two of them almost done.  I just need to make some slits in Cymbre's dress, and take up the straps in Cooper's.  Then they are done.  Cooper's tuxedo pants are in pieces on the ironing board ready to be put back together, and several other pieces of costumes that I had ordered are beginning to arrive.  I will be rhinestoning costumes by the end of this week, and then just finish things up next week.  Making the jewelry always slows me down...all that wire and beads, and rhinestones...but I do manage to pull it together in the end.

It's supposed to be rainy tomorrow, so it will be a good reason to just sit and sew after I get back from physical torture....I mean therapy!

Dad and I went to Outback for our date this past Friday....I do love to go with just Dad....but why do they always want us to sit in those little tiny booths where you can't sit next to each other?  When you tell them that you want to sit next to him instead of across from him, they look at you like you are some demented crazy person.  Dad just looks at them and says that he will know if I don't like him anymore because I won't want to sit by him anymore....whatever Guy!!!
Dad made the reservations for us to go to Tap University in Raleigh this weekend....guess that means I better call and get the girls registered.  It won't be a problem as Mark Goodman has probably already registered them since when he was here we told him we were coming.
Well, I think that's about all for tonight...I'm tired and my somewhat middle aged bones are hurting.....I just don't understand what their problem is!
Get out there and do something for someone you don't know....remember the Savior expects you to help him out.

Love you bunches.
Mom

No comments: