Thursday, May 12, 2011

We Survived Wednesday!

May 12, 2011


We have survived a very busy Wednesday, and both of the girls YW activities were a hugh success!

Cymbre had her mother-daughter celebration here at the house last night....blue and white color scheme, served warm browines with ice cream and toppings.  Then she had a guest speaker talk about motherhood and daughters....the speaker used a conference talk, and then added some other activities.  Then each beehive presented her mom with a rose telling her several reasons why she loves her mom.  That made for not to many dry eyes left in the room.  Then she gave out a little mother-daughter poem she found online, and presented the speaker with an apron she decorated with bees and paint to finish out the evening.  A hugh success in that they managed to get two inactive girls and their mothers out!  Cymbre and Sister Arzac were thrilled with that more than anything.  And those girls and their moms seemed to have a really great time. The Spirit was strong, and mother-daughter bonds were strengthened.  AND, Cymbre gets to count this activity as one of her value projects.

One down.....

Cooper got called late Tuesday afternoon from her laurel class president.  It seems that she couldn't come up with a good activity for their class on Wednesday.....she was crying....she had a major test to study for at school....did Cooper have any ideas as to what they could do.  Cooper to the rescue!  We put together 13 hotpad car emergency kits, got most of the stuff to stuff them from the dollar store, and then I spent several hours finishing tablecloths for Cymbre, and making the car kits for Cooper on Tuesday night until 1am.  It would not have taken so long, but my sewing machine has decided that it only likes to go half speed.....not a very satisfying experience for one busy mom making things that were needed in the morning at 1am at night!
Cooper took her stuff and the laurels had a delightful time sewing on the buttons and stuffing the kits.  They made all of the kits, and will take them to the girls who weren't there on Sunday.

Two down.....

Having both the girls in their class presidencies seems to be keeping this mom pretty busy!

It looks like Dad will have to take the sewing machine back into the repair shop next week when he gets home from Alaska....there is no way I can get it out of the cabinet, load it in the car, and get it into the store....the thing weighs about 80 pounds, and my hands just don't have that kind of power at the moment.  Poor machine....I think I have just worn the thing out.....wish I could figure out how many miles of thread it has sewn over the past 20 years.   Well, maybe I really don't want to know......  They no longer make my sewing machine, and so they can't get new parts....so if the motor is dying.....a slow and painful death....it will be time to buy a new machine!  That's traumatic for me because I LOVE this machine.....a Bernina 930.  Now all the machines are computer based, and I just don't like them but may have to bite the bullet and get one anyway.  This developement is like loosing a valued friend who was constantly there to help.....like being one handed forever....like having no electricity during a hurricane....a truly miserable experience in Houston during the hot humid summer!

So today, is put the house back together after the party, and pack the costumes for recital pictures this afternoon.....and rest my hands.

We have just one more day and Guy will return from Alaska....thank goodness.  A neighbor says that one of our sprinklers is shooting up a geyser when we water, and I am not even going to attempt to try to fix it....so I just turned off the sprinkler system.

Cymbre and I have organized all the DVDs into file drawers, and that really cleaned up a bunch of clutter in the family room....now just to finish the last few when I can get another file box, and then on to the CDs we have.  As you can tell, I am still on a clean out everything binge.

My hands are doing ok some days, and really sore others, but I just keep trying to get things done and rely on tylenol or aleve the rest of the time....still have some vicodin left for really bad days.

I have been released from the hand surgeon...he says I have no more wrists to slit and that I have full mobility and range of motion, so he is done unless I develope a problem.....let's go for no problems1

Cymbre found out that she is loosing her beloved school counselor at the end of this year.  She is retiring, and Cymbre is not a happy camper.  Hopefully, they will get someone else good in there.  Cymbre just has one more year at the school.

The girls and I have finally got the 72 hour kit rotated and put away again....a good thing to do just before hurricane season hits again.  We even went to the RS activity to make food kits....had to take the girls because my hands wouldn't carry the kits....but it made the stuffing process go really quickly.  So, yes we have out 72 hour kit, and now I just have to build up the water storage a bit....and then we wait to see if there will be a need to use it this year.  Let's hope not!

We have replaced the air conditioning system in the house....what a mess for the day after surgery.  It made for a very hot resting place while they worked.....by 7:30 at night I was just like....OK, already......turn the thing back on!!!  Mostly, I slept thru everything until the bedroom starting getting so hot when the sun was on that side of the house.  However, now the house is staying nice and cool, but they still have to come and adjust a few little things to balance the temperature a bit better back in the kitchen....and I have to tell them they can't totally shut vents because I am NOT going to listen to them hiss all day!

Well, must get these costumes ready for pictures.....

Have a great day....and get out there and meet someone new and do something for that person.

Love you bunches....

Mom

No comments: