Sunday, March 11, 2012

Scripture Feast

March 11, 2012


Well, today I took some of my "vintage" fischer price toy kitchen food to Sunday School.  We were talking about "feasting on the word of God"  so it applied.  I set it out on a plate, and then ask the kids what a feast was?  After the typical answers....a family celebration, a time for stuffing yourself with good food, a day when Mom spends all day cooking....I brought it more around to where I wanted it.  I told them that today we were not talking about earthly feasting, but spiritual feasting....several groans!  Can you tell we go to church during lunchtime?  So we talked about how the meat on my plate could represent the more "meaty" teachings in the scriptures...the atonement, eternal life, priesthood power, eternal marriage, covenants the Savior makes with His people.  Then I moved on to the fruit, vegetables, and other food I had taken.  These represented smaller things...tithing, keeping the word of wisdom, keeping commandments, dressing modestly, using clean language, following the living prophets, setting a good example for others....the list could go on and on.  Then I brought it around to how Nephi just before he died was teaching yet again his people regarding "feasting on the word of God", the baptism of the Savior, the need to walk in the straight and narrow path, to enjoy the gift of the Holy Ghost.  All this is recorded in 2 Nephi 31-33.  We talked about how feasting wasn't just hurrying thru a meal, but enjoying the food that had been prepared, it's not just a nibble of food, but the total eating of full forks.  Therefore, when we are studying the word of God, we need to really "feast" and not just snack.  Feasting on the scriptures does not mean a quick handful of crackers in a ziplock bag in your purse.....it's spending some time reading, pondering, and figuring out the meaning of the scriptures we read. Then I went on to expand more fully on some of the teachings we had already discussed.  I brought out how the Holy Ghost is a key person in our feasting...it's His job to help us understand the things we read in the scriptures, and how to put them to use in our lives.  Then I tied everything up in a bow....at least in words, and presented the fact that if we are really feasting on the word of God, we shall know all the things we are supposed to be doing while here in this earthly test before returning to live with our Heavenly Father.  This whole concept makes reading the scriptures seem like a necessity so that we can more easily make it thru this earthly experience....at least in my feeble mind these days.

The handout was two scriptures typed out about feasting on the word of God, and some little plastic doll house food glued on the bottom.

Although after all this, I must admit that they really enjoyed the birthday cupcakes I took.


And that's the lesson for today.....I don't teach next week as it's Ward Conference....but the week after that I already have magnifying glasses......I'll post more about that lesson later after I put it all together.


This week is Spring Break for the girls, so we are going to try to get some things done we haven't gotten to do yet.  Cooper and Cymbre are going to some extra dance lessons, and classes....we have a funeral to attend for the father of their close dance friend, they want to go down to Harwin street jewelry shopping, and Cymbre has to meet with ther school group to finish up making a game, and Cooper wants to go to the outlet mall....I think she thinks she needs more clothes.  AND I am going to finish the last competition costume rhinestoning if it kills me!


I survived the finishing up of my root canal that started a month ago, but I had to take antibiotics for several weeks to clear up the infection in my gum.  Well, now I have a temporary crown, and they are done drilling on me.  Next time I go back in 3 weeks, they will just glue the permanent crown on....then I better be done for months.  I hate that place.  Makes my teeth hurt everytime I go there.


All the drama around here was further complicated this week, but I think we managed to straighten things out before they really got out of hand.  This whole mess is so exhausting for me to deal with.....I am spending too many hours home alone.


We have a new chore schedule around here, and things went smoothly the last few days this week, and Saturday was great.  So I feel better about that issue.  The girls did a wonderful job upstairs.  I am proud of them.  Now if we can just keep it going......


Cymbre's IPod seems to be going on vacation a lot lately without her....a frustrating problem we are dealing with again today.....it's got to be here somewhere.  Too bad you can't call the thing like a phone and find it!


Cooper had a dance audition today....they wouldn't let her come another day.  She claims she "nailed it", and they are on the way home.  Guy took her because of the terrible rainstorms in the area the last few days.  This means that she will probably have a dance intensive this summer in downtown Houston for a couple of weeks, going every week day.  It will be good for her.


Well, I need to sort through some shopping bags that are cluttering the dining room table....they are full of Easter goodies for grandbabies and the girls and Britni.  And I need to clean up the rhinestones from everything that is already done, and get out the ones for the last costume.


So on that note, everyone needs to be doing their scripture "feasting", and their earthly serving this week.  Get out there and do something for someone who is less fortunate than you are.  These people are everywhere if you just look around.  Just take that little step outside your comfort zone.....it's a wonderful feeling!


Mom

No comments: