Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I've Been Thinking.....

Lately I have been thinking about what to do in my Sunday School class to make it more interesting to the kids.  Sure they like going outside to build a ship with Nephi, becoming literal branches on an olive tree in a vineyard, and now engraving their personal testimony on small sheets of copper.  The part I think I need to make more intersting in how all this relates to today.....what is the purpose of all this stuff being written in the scriptures by ancient prophets for us today.  How do we implement it into our lives today? Why did all those ancient prophets even care anyway?  AND, are they feeling the Spirit as we talk about all this stuff?...you know, you can see it in their eyes when that is happening.  It is at those small moments when you see the ideas dawn on them, and how they apply to their personal lives, and the Spirit tightens my throat and my own eyes sting with tears that I feel they really learn, and the learning is not from me.  I try each week to provide a way for this small moment to happen....some weeks are more successful than others.  I wish it could be the most successful moment those kids have all week every week in class.  No small undertaking I know, but that's why all the lesson preparation during the week, the listening to spiritual music while I think about things and prepare, and all the trying to go the extra mile in attempting to do creative things.  While I have quite the adult following at church, and the younger kids are begging to come to my class.....and that feels good, that isn't what I really desire in my heart.  I really want those kids to feel the Spirit so abundantly that they instantly know that what we are talking about is true, and that it really does apply to their lives, and that these things can help them return to their Heavenly Father.  If I could really remember all those scripture references so I could recall them when I need them, I really could just leave the manual at home.....that's when the Spirit takes over and things come out of my mouth that I have never planned to say.  Normally, I don't use the manual much.  But remembering those references is "nigh unto impossible" for some of us.  You would think after being a teacher for what seems like a hundred years, I would have learned to remember the scripture references....however, it's like an elusive creature that just isn't a talent I have.  I really must speak to Heavenly Father when I see Him again to see if there is something He could do to fix it.  Ah well, can't have everything I suppose.....so I guess it's time to dig into my little stash of stuff and come up with something to make King Benjamin's visit to my class something special for the kids.  The guy helping me already has the king's robe and crown, and the basic text of what I want him to say.  Too bad we can't pitch tents in the relief society room!  There is the possibility of building forts on chairs with blankets like we used to do with the kids though.....Guy would probably think that's a bit much for a Sunday School class!  But just between you and me....I think those teenage boys would LOVE it!!


The other stuff I've been thinking lately is just stuff....like why do all the ironing when it will just all end up back in the basket in the near future?  Why don't I have enough hangers to have all the laundry and the ironing done at the same time?  Why do the squirrels in the back yard insist on digging up the pinwheels Cymbre has out in her flower garden to scare them away?  Why does the stapler always run out of staples when I am stapling paper?  Who is responsible for using the last black ink cartridge and not telling me?  Why can't dishes load themselves in the dishwasher?    Who gave the dust particles permission to gather for meetings on my blinds?  And finally, why is the box of tissues ALWAYS empty when I need one?


Well, on that note, I need to get busy.  You know, load those lazy dishes in the dishwasher, go buy those hangers and finish the ironing, get the new zipper sewn in Cooper's jeans (she broke it yesterday), and the ever eternal question to answer....what will we eat for dinner?  I think I need a robot to just spit out dinner at the right time each night....no thinking on my part involved!  Just saying!!


Well, before I totally lose my mind, I must get those dishes corraled in the dishwasher....and just for spite maybe I will turn it on delayed wash....then they won't know when the hot bath will commence....serves them right don't you think?


No comments: