Monday, April 28, 2008

What's With The Spray Starch Anyway?

April 28, 2008

I have managed to clean up the sewing room one more time.....this time I organized the competition mess a bit better so that it isn't falling all over when we stack it up. I even dusted under the stackable drawers! Simply amazing!

Dad has been sick and sounds like he is coughing up his lungs. The doctor put him on some medicine, but he still has trouble sleeping because he is coughing so much. He is exhausted. I've been a making him take a shower in the front bathroom so he can stand in the steam for a while. I hope he feels better before he leaves for Europe in a week or so.

Cymbre survived her dance company tryouts, but was upset because she forgot one of the combinations. I told her that they know what she can do, and not to worry about it. It's hard for them to remember three new things they learn in the morning, and then no time to really practice, and then try out in the afternoon. We put them through this each year so that they will know what to expect at a real audition. She will make the team, she is just upset that she couldn't remember everything. She wasn't the only one.

I have managed to reach the bottom of my mending basket....miracles will never cease! At the bottom I found all kinds of thread scraps....things I thought I had thrown away every time I clipped them while sewing. I wonder just why they migrated to the bottom of the mending pile. Were they plotting to take over the sewing room, and strike back at the full spools of thread hanging on the door of the sewing machine cabinet. Had the elastic upset them in some manner? Was the velcro unfriendly? Maybe they were just planning on getting together for some sort of vacation. Who would need a vacation if you weren't really doing anything anyway? Do they just think they don't have to be in the trash can just because they don't want to? Maybe they just take flight because the ceiling fan is running while I sew, and the mending basket is just where they land. I am convinced that they must have some plan to irritate me. I mean really, have you heard of a thread scrap convention going on? If so, who organized it, and why wasn't I invited. I have two drawers of thread, we would have made good attendees.

And another thing, why does the spray starch always stick to the legs of the ironing board? Have you ever tried to pry the stuff off the legs? It's next to impossible. If you try to scrap it off, the paint comes off with it. If you try to just wash it off, it gets all sticky. Maybe I will just leave it there to form layer upon layer as some sort of a badge for keeping my ironing done. I can always just buy a new ironing board when the buildup gets so thick I can't stand it anymore. I guess I could make some sort of a ironing board skirt that would attach around the ironing board, and then the starch would just get on it, and I would take it off and wash it. Sound like a bit much though, don't you think?
Someone needs to invent a starch dissolver to make the job much easier.

Well, I better get on with making all the dance company certificates that we need for the award banquet. I think Cymbre should be one for the cutest freckles. We draw them on her for every Little Bitty performance, and she looks so cute.

Have a good day.

Love you.

Mom

No comments: